As many of us have been ordered to stay at home over the past several weeks, we now find ourselves in uncharted territory:
How to stay active without access to a gym and with many new commitments and distractions at home.
While we can all appreciate the importance of keeping active for our physical, mental, and emotional well-being, this can be easier said than done, as we’re also experiencing new stresses as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. Fortunately, there are many ways to be physically active throughout the day, even if you have to sneak in movement whenever possible!
Here are twenty ways to inspire you to stay active while staying at home. Why not pick a few to try each day? Plus, you may find new ways to stay active at home after the restrictions have been lifted!
- Schedule regular walks outside, if safe to do so, and weather permits.
- Set your work-station on a high counter or table so that you stand while working.
- If you live in multilevel complex, opt for the stairs instead of the elevator whenever possible.
- Walk around while on the phone, or on video calls with loved ones.
- Every time you go up or down the stairs, take two laps just because you can.
- Schedule your planned workouts in advance. Even just 10 minutes at a time 2-3 times a day really adds up!
- Make a rule to take a lap around the house every time you do a certain activity, such as every time you use the restroom, refill your water or coffee, send an email, etc.
- Sneak in a few exercises in the kitchen as you wait for your food to cook.
- Do 10 squats/lunges/pushups every time you send an email, or every time you get a drink.
- Take a lap or run up and down the stairs three times during every commercial break when watching TV.
- Take a brief stretch break every hour on the hour.
- Perform heel raises while washing the dishes.
- Try a new virtual workout class hosted by your favorite gym.
- Take up a new active hobby, like jogging, gardening, or cycling.
- Stand up when folding your laundry.
- Begin and end your day with some stretches.
- Clean your home often! Vacuuming, sweeping, and scrubbing are all physical activities.
- Keep your phone in another room so that you get some steps in going to check your messages.
- Turn on some of your favorite tunes and dance!
- Join us for Myzone LIVE workouts on Facebook and Instagram every Monday thru Friday at 9 am GMT and 1 pm PDT. Invite your family or roommates to workout with you!
We hope you can benefit from some of these ideas! Be sure to let us know by connecting with us on social media. Whenever you post, using the hashtags #keepmoving #keepmepping and #myzonecommunity so we can all stay connected.
Keep moving forward!